Light, Let It Invade

Saturday, January 28, 2012

I love light. 
I love the sun. 
I love letting the light take front stage in my pictures. 

So many people, when they take pictures, set the subject right where the sun is directly hitting them. 
I do it all the time, but I have decided that I will reform. 
Reform. 
Yup, that is what I said. 
Reform. 

Take this picture for example. I took this on Christmas day (not that that has anything to do with the post). I was in a hurry. So, I waisted the lovely light by letting it go directly into her face. This resulted in a very harsh photo. Instead I should have set her back to the sun and let the light pour through and around her. This would have made the photo softer and more exciting.  


See the difference? 
Front lighting (#1) vs. Back Lighting (#2).


Front light is great too, but most of the time I like to use back light.

In the next two pictures (both are SOOCs*) you can see what a difference the sun makes.
In #1 I just captured the sun hitting everything at once, so that there are harsh colors, and not a bit of softness about it. 

In #2 I let the sun show some of its lovely rays.
The lighting is varied (and a tad bit darker),but the sun seems to be slowly seeping through. 
It gives the pictures so much more interest. 

Here also I did the same thing. 

and here..... 


and here.... 


 and- you get the point. 




So, let the light in, let it come in from the back and invade your photos. 


-Mackenzie Hope 




*SOOC stands for Straight Out Of Camera (no editing, no fake colors, not a change)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments makes my day every time!

09 10