Blueberry Crumbles ( a post from The Sister)

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Note from Mackenzie:
Ha, look at this, three blog posts in three days! I am going to set a record here! 
In an attempt to become famous food bloggers one day, my older sister Meredith and I have collaborated over a very blueberryish crumbleyish post. 
We are going to be famous one day, I am sure of it. 
Heyeny-way, Mer-darling did the cooking and I did the photo-ing. 
So I present to you Miss Meredith and Co.

Let me introduce the contributors. Good, reliable, everyday ingredients. These are all items that you're likely to have in your kitchen, which means that this recipe screams spontaneity. Screams it.

As with every decent recipe, mix together the dry ingredients first. This includes the lemon zest. In my wildest dreams, I own a zester. Unfortunately, my wildest dreams aren't real life and in real life I use a humble cheese grater to zest ztuff.  Does the cheese grater appreciate being used for lemon zesting? I don't know, I've never bothered to ask it.

Next you want to cut in the butter and egg. How do you like your crumbles? If you like bigger crumbles, just go on and cut the shenanigans out of the lot of it with a pastry cutter. BUT if you, like myself, want a more evenly distributed crumble, a wise man once taught me that you can actually grate your buter (freeze it a bit first) into lovely little flakes with a cheese grater. Evidently, cheese graters have manifold usages, whether they like it or not.

The result of all that grating: beautiful little crumbles. Pour half of them into the bottom of your dish.

In a separate bowl combine more sugar, cornstarch, the juices of the lemon so recently zested, and of course...

.....the blueberries. Every Summer our family spends a day picking absolute buckets of these beauties. Whatever berries survive our appetites get frozen to be used throughout Winter and Spring till the next blueberry extravaganza.

Sandwich the blueberry mixture between those gorgeous crumbles and bake the dickens out of it till it's a wee bit golden or whenever your heart tells you it's perfect.

Cut it into squares, circles, rectangles, triangles, hexagons, or whatever shape floats your blueberry crumbly boat, and enjoy.

Blueberry Crumble Recipe

1 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
zest and juice of 1 lemon
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
4 tsp cornstarch

-Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9x13 inch pan.
-Stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
-Cut (or grate) in the butter and an egg. Pat half of the crumbly dough into the pan.
-In another bowl, mix the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently stir in blueberries.
-Sprinkle blueberry mixture gently over crust, then top with remaining crumble dough.
-Bake for 45 minutes or until top begins to turn golden. Cool completely before cutting and serving.

Very full of yummy blueberry crumbles, 
Mackenzie 
Meredith

3 comments:

  1. oh, hey hello there, gorgeous Mackenzie, and Mackenzie's gorgeous sister! ;) this looks oh-so delicious, girls. seriouslyyyyy too good. you're making me hungry. ;) thanks for sharing this deliciousness with us! i'll be making this soon, i'm sure. *wink* lovely pictures too! they make it all the more tempting (as if the recipe wasn't tempting enough. ahem.) ;]

    seriously. this is a lot of fun. i really really like it. ;)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so, so delicious Mackenzie and Meredith! (M&M)
    We had blueberry pancakes for breakfast this morn, and this will soon need to be made as well, I think. Mackenzie, I am very impressed with your food photography! The lighting is wonderful! It's such a challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! And the photography is just perfect. Such lovely lighting!

    ReplyDelete

Comments makes my day every time!

09 10